Monday, September 28, 2015

Jane's First Post--Answer to a Literacy Challenge!
I took a challenge a while back, in celebration of National Literacy Day.  A challenge to become more literate in new ways.  What better way than starting a blog.  I need to improve my technical skills, and I love to read and write.  As the days go by, and I get better at this, I intend to share my thoughts and information about a number of things that I am passionate about.  Some of them are :  Literacy, Ageism, ADD in older women, Easing the Pain and Turning the Tide on HIV/AIDS in Africa, Photography, Jazz and Dogs.  There will be more, but these I am already deeply involved with.

Did you know that right across Canada, the number of adults who are functionally illiterate is staggering?  I have been involved working with the Yamaska Literacy Council for a number of years, tutoring adults who need help learning to read.  You'd think that in a progressive country such as ours, this cannot be true.  But those involved keep this a dark secret--faking it, hiding, and living lives of deep shame and unhappiness.  If you know of anyone who might be in this plight, please help them to find a literacy centre who will help.  Free one-on-one tutoring is available in many centres across Canada.  Google "literacy" for more information, or just ask me, and I will help you find the information you need. 

3 comments:

  1. I thought I did just post this, so if it appears twice....sorry. We are all lifelong learners.
    Way to go blogger Jane!! and thank you for talking about literacy :)
    Hope to receive posts about your trip ( and pics, if that's a challenge you are up to?). Wishing you an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are those who think about doing, and those who do. Congratulations on doing Jane! I am going to follow you with much interest to see how you progress in all your endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Now I can comment! Excellent blogging Jaja Jane!

    ReplyDelete