Saturday, February 20, 2016

Final Day of Gathering--Tying it All Together

Wednesday, October 7, 8 a.m.--We were up early and ready to march!  All 500+ jajas given white shirts with purple trim and logos, and we gathered outside the hotel and were loaded into busses, to head for the centre of Entebbe.


Waiting for the busses
Some groups were carrying placards declaring their demands and wishes.


Photo by Oscar
There was a brass band leading us as we lined up for the March.  There were even two women from CUPE*--supporters of the SLF marching with us. There was a buzz of excitement, accompanied by looks of bewilderment from some.  We were off on a 3-kilometre hike, telling the world the wants and needs of Ugandan grandmothers and the millions of grandchildren in their care.  We set off at a brisk pace with heads held high.  Police and soldiers on motor cycles accompanied us along the road.  And of course, the local press was there, as well.   I was surrounded by jajas.  I was surprised how easy it was to keep up with them.  Adrenalin, I guess.


Photo by Oscar
Pride Cometh Before a . . .
 

 I was not prepared for what happened next!  About 2 km. into the march there was an unplanned event . . . I tripped on a curb as we were turning a corner, and fell and hit my face and knee on the rocky sidewalk!!
 
What follows was my own little adventure which no one else would be able to describe.  Helpful people tried to pick me up . . .  the St. John's Ambulance people arrived, bless them,  and I was loaded into their ambulance, and attendants attempted to mop me up and stop the bleeding as they took me to a clinic in a shopping mall.  There was another little jaja in the ambulance as well, suffering from a fall, and very quiet.   Dr. Betty ** accompanied us, as well as Graham from the SLF.  We waited for the young Ugandan emergency doctor on duty to take his diabetes medicine.  My nice white shirt was all bloody, and Graham tried to find me "something pretty" at the mall,  but all he could find was a black t-shirt with big white letters on it.  Dr. Betty found me a purple shirt with a pink collar--this was the uniform shirt worn by staff, so I had an immediate  promotion from Granny to Staff!  When the emergency doctor arrived, Dr. Betty assisted him with his instruments, and I heard her ask  him, "Don't you have a smaller needle?"
 
He replied,  "This is the only one I have."    I shuttered! 
 
She said "Don't do anything--I'll be right back."  She was gone about 10 minutes and came back with a smaller needle.  Bless her!
 
The doctor sewed up my face--it took 7 stitches.  And I had a big bandage on the side of my face and on my right knee.  Dr. Betty drove me back to the hotel, and Graham, most kindly took my hat away to wash the blood stains off it.  I felt I was wonderfully cared for, and told the Ugandan doctor before we left,  that if this had happened where I live in Canada, I would still be in the waiting room!  I am very grateful to all these people who were so concerned and took such great care of me.   I arrived back at the Gathering in time for lunch! 
 
We are only half way through the day, but I think I will end this chapter of the story, and post it, and continue later (but not much later) with the other half, which is probably the most important part of the whole Gathering. 
 
*  Canadian Union Public Employees 
 
**Dr. Betty Nsangi, Executive Director
    Reach Out Mbuya Parish HIV/AIDS Initiative
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





 


 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. What an adveture/misfortune Jane! I hadn't realized you were representing the walking wounded at the end! Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete