Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Few Explanations

Good Morning Readers. 

Surprised to get another page so quickly?!  I just re-read yesterday's text, and realized that I have slipped into a laziness of using abbreviations and buzz words, and also have not been giving our photographers proper credit.  So I want to correct this right now.  I will explain some expressions and perhaps will add more explanations to this page from time to time if needed.  A bit of a glossary. 

GM=grandmother   This word is used so frequently because this whole effort is about grandmothers, Africa's Unsung Heroes.

Jaja also means grandmother in their language.  I was called Jaja Jane!

SLF=Stephen Lewis Foundation. None of this would be happening without this foundation.  There are two websites you can visit to learn more about it: www.stephenlewisfoundation.org
or www.grandmotherscampaign.org

Community Based Organizations = CBO  I have not used this acronym yet, but now I will start, because it is another long phrase that comes up often.  These organizations are where the GMs go to find help, and in many cases they are run and staffed by other volunteer Jajas.  SLF supports and operates through these CBOs.  There were six CBOs that were particularly involved in organizing this Gathering, and they will be featured later.  We were able to visit two of them.

Photo by Edward Echwalu
Grandmothers:  Africa's Unsung Heroes--BookLaunch

About the photographers . . . I think this was the first time that the SLF decided to use a group of local professional photographers.  It was a brilliant move, because the chosen photographers were brilliant at their craft.  We were told that it was better to leave our cameras in our rooms and let them do the job.  Our job was to communicate with the Jajas, and this is difficult with a camera pointed at them constantly.  I think they really appreciated having their own local sons doing the job, and became very comfortable having them present all the time.  And these sons knew how to find the interesting moments and record them artfully and kindly.  When we were divided into groups, each group had their own photographer.  Our photographer was Oscar, and I will devote a whole page to Oscar before this story is finished.

The four photographers were:
 
Edward Echwalu
Emmanuel Museruka
Kibuuka Mukisa Oscar
Julius Ceasar 
 
To these young men we owe the great success of our publications, and our thanks.  I shall go back into the blog and enter the names under the photos.  In my haste I have left them out, or have only put in their first name.  But in the huge collection of photos in DropBox where we can access them all we want, their names are under each image. 
 
This is not to say that the Canadian Grannies didn't take any pictures at all.  It was very difficult to resist the opportunities that were around us all the time, so you will see some excellent photos by some of us, as well.  And I will give them credits too, when I know their source.  Mine were all taken with my iPhone, and have a slightly purplish tinge to them. 
 
 Photo by Emmanuel Museruka 
At a briefing with SLF Staff
A daily occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment